Thursday, December 24, 2020

Moving Day & Enlistment Day

Let’s just say Wednesday was busy.

 


Lots of boxes and Meira’s legs in uniform

On the Upper East Side of Manhattan, we (actually movers) moved out of our apartment of 14 years.  After 17 years in New York City, we’re en route to Atlantic Beach.

 

Across the Atlantic, our oldest, Meira, enlisted in the IDF. 

 

Both events are full of anxiety, pride, and excitement tinged with sadness. Saying farewell to a familiar place and a community we love.  Recognizing that our child is all grown up and now a solider defending the Jewish Homeland. 

 

This is an appropriate week for journey and facing unknown, new realities.  I think I can say that I have a taste of what Yaakov felt as he leads the Children of Israel to Egypt.

 

Yaakov also had to pack all his possessions.  He had wagons and not trucks, but I imagine there was similar chaos and emotion involved in the move.  That’s why God reassured Yaakov (Bereishit 46:3-4):

 

וַיֹּאמֶר אָנֹכִי הָאֵ-ל אֱ-לֹהֵי אָבִיךָ אַל־תִּירָא מֵרְדָה מִצְרַיְמָה כִּי־לְגוֹי גָּדוֹל אֲשִׂימְךָ שָׁם׃ אָנֹכִי אֵרֵד עִמְּךָ מִצְרַיְמָה וְאָנֹכִי אַעַלְךָ גַם־עָלֹה...

 

And God said, “I am God, the God of your father. Fear not to go down to Egypt, for I will make you there into a great nation. I Myself will go down with you to Egypt, and I Myself will bring you back…”

 

A family move or a personal milestone does not compare with the national journey of the Jewish people.  At the same time, I am bolstered by the idea that God is along for the ride.  Our momentous experiences are important to us.  They are also sacred.  Wherever we go and whatever we do, God’s message to Yaakov can steady our nerves as we encounter change and a new reality.

 

Al tirah – Don’t fear!  It is hard not to be afraid at all, but it helps to know that we all undertake new journeys in the footsteps of all those who came before us.

 


2 comments:

  1. Is God along for our ride or ...
    are wee along for HIS?

    Fear vs Faith depends on whose Journey it is!
    If it's OUR Ride, then it's Fearful
    If it's HIS Ride, then we become Faithful!

    Regardless! Look up, enjoy the ride and WELCOME to waves of Atlantic Beach

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you success in your new endeavors in Atlantic Beach! I also must tell you that Am Yisrael is proud of your daughter, proud of her choice to cast her future with the Jewish people. I wish her success, good health, and mazal in everything that she touches in our home country. My oldest granddaughter will soon be leaving for Israel too for a year of study after high school- but who knows where the attraction of our homeland will lead her in the future. I am proud of my granddaughter, and every Jew is proud of your daughter too.

    ReplyDelete