Saturday, December 30, 2023

Messages from Gaza Then & Now


View from Kfar Aza into Gaza on 11/15/23

While looking across the border into Gaza during these difficult final days of 2023, I'd like to revisit what took place in Gaza in 950 BCE, some 3,000 years ago. Like then, we can find messages of hope even in dark times. 

In chapters 13-16 of Sefer Shoftim, we read the story of Shimshon (Samson). Shimshon was from the tribe of Dan. He was born a Nazarite and derived superhuman strength from that status. His tragic story ends in Gaza when he is captured by the Philistines, and his eyes are gouged out. When he is brought out to be mocked by his captors, Shimshon regains his strength and pulls down the pillars of the Philistine temple, killing himself as well as three thousand Philistines.


The Midrash teaches that Yaakov Avinu is alluding to this future tragedy in his blessing to Dan. (Bereishit 49:16-17) He concludes "Li'shuatecha keyveetey Hashem - Lord, I await your salvation." These words seem out of place, prompting the Sages to explain them as Yaakov's prayer on behalf of Dan's descendant, Shimshon. 


"Jacob called his sons together and said, 'Gather round so that I can explain to you what will happen to you in days to come.'" (Bereishit 49:1)


Before he dies, Yaakov provides his descendants with a last will, an ethical, spiritual will. He leaves them with wisdom, insight, and encouragement to remain strong no matter what the future may hold. He reminds his children - and their descendants - that, even in the bleakest moments of defeat - like that which Shimshon experiences in Gaza, we remain hopeful for God's salvation. 


They offer us comfort, hope, and strength and provide a path to overcome the painful losses suffered in Gaza.


Before going into battle, soldiers are encouraged to write letters to their families should the worst occur and they not return. Several families publicized these powerfully moving words of their sons who fell in battle. These represent a "last will" from Gaza for all of us. They are modern-day versions of the last will Yaakov left for his children. They provide a path to overcome the painful losses suffered in Gaza. 


Ben Zussman, 22, was killed in Gaza on December 3. (He's a relative of a number of JCAB families.) 


“I am writing this message to you on my way to the base. If you are reading this, something has probably happened to me. As you know me, there’s probably no one happier than me right now. I was just about to fulfill my dream soon. I am grateful for the privilege to defend our beautiful land and the people of Israel.


Even if something happens to me, I don’t allow you to sink into sadness. I had the privilege to fulfill my dream and my destiny, and you can be sure that I am looking down on you with a big smile. Perhaps I’ll sit next to Grandfather and bridge some gaps. Each one will share their experiences and what has changed between wars, and we’ll talk a bit about politics, and I’ll ask him for his opinion.


If, God forbid, you are sitting shiva, turn it into a week of friends, family, and joy. Have food, definitely meat, beer, sweet drinks, seeds, tea, and of course, Mom’s cookies. Laugh, listen to stories, meet all my friends you haven’t seen yet. Seriously, I envy you. I would like to be there to see everyone.


Another very, very important point. If, God forbid, I fall captive, alive or dead, I am not willing for a soldier or civilian to be harmed because of any deal for my release. I do not allow you not to conduct a campaign or protest or anything like that. I am not willing for terrorists to be released in exchange for me. In no way, shape, or form. Please do not twist my words.


I’ll say it again; I left home without even being called up to reserve duty. I am filled with pride and a sense of duty, and I always said that if I have to die, I hope it will be in defense of others and the country. (From the song Guards of the Walls) ‘Jerusalem, I have placed the guards’ (Yishayahu 62:6), that the day will come when I will be one of them."


How can one not be moved by such words?


Just two days ago, Yosef Gitratz, age 25, was killed in battle. Here is his letter to his parents:


"Dear Mom and Dad, 


I love you so much. Everything is as it should be. I chose it. I lived a good and interesting life, and at the same time I was never afraid of death. 


I could hide and I could choose not to come here. But that would contradict everything that I believe and value and who I consider myself to be. I would do the same again and again. I made this choice myself and followed it to the end. I fell honorably for my people. I have no regrets. 


I love you very much and I am proud that you are my parents. You gave me a lot. I had a very interesting, full, happy, unique life. My death only emphasizes that. You certainly feel a lot of pain. But you will overcome it. Please find something positive in all of this. Be with the grandchildren. Help Israel."


Both these messages are only being read due to terribly sad circumstances. Both of these messages request - demand - that we carry forward. These messages from Gaza speak to the heroic character of their authors. 


Am Yisrael is blessed with so many heroes. We need to heed the messages of hope and strength and perseverance from Gaza past and present. We need to continue to live, to celebrate, to eat meat and drink beer, to find the positive, and to help Israel. 


That is how we will find salvation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment